West Country Farmhouse Cheese Straws
Cheese straws make a classic festive nibble but try this recipe which is made with full flavoured farmhouse Cheddar and ground walnuts with sunflower seeds for added bite.
Serve with a fresh tomato salsa or a bowl of olives.
Makes: 24 cheese straws
Preparation Time: 20 minutes plus chilling time
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- 225g/8oz Plain flour
- Pinch Salt
- 25g/1oz Walnuts (bashed in a bag with a rolling pin to grind)
- 25g/1oz Sunflower seeds.
- 75g/3oz Butter, chilled
- 75g/3oz Extra Mature West Country Farmhouse Cheddar, grated
- 2 Medium egg yolks
- 2 tbsp Cold water
- Sieve the flour and salt into a medium size bow and stir in sunflower seeds and roughly ground walnuts.
- Coarsely grate the butter into the flour along with the cheese. Add egg yolks and water and combine together using a fork and then by hand.
- Transfer mix onto a work surface lightly dusted with flour and knead until smooth.
- Roll out in an approximate rectangle to the thickness of a £1 coin.
- Cut into even pencil length strips and carefully transfer to a baking sheet lined with baking parchment using a palette knife or spatula.
- Bake at 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6 until golden brown in colour and crisp. Cool on baking sheet for 2 – 3 minutes to harden before transferring to a cooling tray.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.