This simple but classy tart is a great springtime meal for family and friends. Enjoy this wonderful West Country version and take advantage of the British asparagus season to boot.
Makes: 1 tart
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
500g Asparagus spears
1 x 375g Pack of ready-rolled puff pastry
4 Egg yolks
200g Crème fraiche
100ml Double cream
2 tbsp Freshly grated West Country Cheddar
2 tbsp Grainy mustard
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
Beaten egg for brushing
1 tbsp Finely chopped chives
1. Clean the asparagus and trim any white ends or peel with a vegetable peeler.
2. Remove the pastry from the fridge 10 minutes before use.
3. Preheat the oven to 220c, 425f, Gas mark 7.
4. Unroll the pastry and place on a baking sheet.
5. Take a sharp knife and with the point score a line round the pastry about 1cm inside the edge. Lightly prick inside the rectangle with a fork and brush the edges with a little beaten egg.
6. Lay the asparagus in a neat line, all the tips facing the same way inside the border of the pastry.
7. Mix together the crème fraiche, egg yolks, chives, horseradish and cream, season and spread over the asparagus tart and sprinkle with the Cheddar.
8. Place in the oven for 35/40 minutes until golden brown and cooked (turn the oven down to 190c if the pastry is beginning to catch).
9. Serve with a fresh tomato and watercress salad.